Saturday, November 8, 2008

The "Real" World

http://www.slate.com/id/2203245/

I was watching tv earlier today, surfing through the 40's and 50's.......HGTV, TLC, Food Network, TruTV, etc. These are my favorite channels, because I can always find something that interests me. I came across a show called "Real Housewives of Atlanta" and for some reason, I stopped to watch. I think because it was a lot like a train wreck. (You know how you don't really want to watch because you know that you shouldn't, but you just can't help it.) Anyways, the show was about 4 or 5 women that spend their days spending ridiculous amounts of money on ridiculous things that they don't need and running their mouths about things that really have no consequence. I thought it was funny that I came across this article about this very show.

First of all, the title uses the word "Real." Seriously? I find it hard to believe that "real" people live this way. I guess they are the "beauty" of this country; you have the opportunity to make enough money to live that way. But, here's my problem. Most of them are married to football stars. Why does your ability to throw or catch a ball make you worth so much more than an average hard-working citizen? Don't get me wrong though, I don't think that people should receive free hand-outs by any means. But I truly feel that there are people that get paid way too much for what they do. I'd rather see a wall street professional or a CEO make the millions of dollars. At least they went through years of college and graduate school and probably worked 12-16 hour days for years to get to where they are. Granted, I don't know much about a football player's demanding schedule, so I can't say that they don't work hard. But SERIOUSLY!?

I think my biggest problem with these kind of shows is that they don't reflect what this country is really about. I bet these shows are broadcast all over the place and people probably think that Americans live this way! And, I guess I'm a little old-fashioned. These women hire people to raise their children so that they can spend their days running around town doing "important" things. What's more important than raising your children?

Anyways, this show makes me angry. Along with the OC.....oh and that show about girls and their sweet sixteen birthday parties. Because the rest of the REAL world doesn't live that way. We have real issues and real problems; we have crappy jobs that barely pay the rent; we struggle to put ourselves through school. We go without all of these things that are considered necessities in the super-rich world. Show me someone on tv that I can relate to! Give me a character that I can actually feel sorry for, or even understand where they're coming from!

No comments: